Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wet and Fun

Didn't work on computers much today. I did try to figure out my XBMC (XBox Media Center) issues of trying to use my phone as a remote. Never had this much trouble before and I've never given up until now. I'm getting ahead of myself. I first had to wake up early and force my teenage sister out of bed and to get ready, which isn't all that surprising. I then had to walk her to school. What was surprising was that amount of water falling from the sky. I'm used to Seattle, but this was buckets and it didn't let up. Seattle will rain like this sometimes, but never lasts that long. This was on and off all day. Seattle also has better drainage for sewers, and I'm guessing it has to do with Seattle being mostly a giant hill and the raising of the lowest parts. Long Beach on the other hand gets crazy amounts of puddles, and small rivers running on either side of the streets. So assuming you don't get soaked from the rain or puddles on the way, just crossing from one block to another is a challenge with so much water built up in some instances that you can't even jump over the obstacle. I had the hiking boots I got from REI for this trip, which now fully tested let me know I made a good choice. My sister on the other hand just had sneakers with lots of breathing holes. Her feet were drenched after the first few blocks.
We made it to her school and I waited in the lobby for her to take her tests. I felt like I was in high school again, granted I was in a high school. I wouldn't want to go to high school again.
We walked around for a while and I like a lot of Long Beach, but it isn't a walking town like Seattle. Long Beach is a little too spread-out for walking, but maybe biking. I had some Pho at a location I came upon. Pho is Pho and the restaurants seem to be about the same no matter which one or what town.
After getting home and getting a warm shower. Dry clothes felt great. My feet were the only part of me that was completely dry. My "rain" jacket wasn't as waterproof as I once thought. Other than some good Mac & Cheese not much else happened for the rest of the night (see above for my Computer challenges). My sister did manage to get some malware while looking at her horoscope *face palm, one more to fix...again.

Tip for the day, when traveling always keep a spare poncho.

4 comments:

  1. Like we talked about, just getting my phone to connect to my computer through XBMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the name of this post made me laugh, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just almost invented something amazing... of course.
    Q

    ReplyDelete